Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what is going on with DFW

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2024, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
what is going on with DFW

I know some flights have been canceled because of AA rejigging their schedule, but this cant be right....

A few days ago I started to look for a few more TPA - LHR flights in the next 60 days. I always prefer to connect in DFW whenever possible.
When I searched at first i literally found NO DFW connecting flights in the search returns. Yet when I looked for TPA-DFW and DFW-LHR both were wide open. A few days later I look again and I did find a DFW connection or two, WAY down at the bottom of the list. I went to look again tonight and I'm seeing the odd DFW connection but with crazy prices, like J for $3k MORE than F (both refundable).

other than looking for individual segments like I did before, is there any way to limit my search results to a specific connecting city? For whatever reason the results I'm getting now just arent making sense...

TIA
Old May 1, 2024, 6:19 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stant
I know some flights have been canceled because of AA rejigging their schedule, but this cant be right....

A few days ago I started to look for a few more TPA - LHR flights in the next 60 days. I always prefer to connect in DFW whenever possible.
When I searched at first i literally found NO DFW connecting flights in the search returns. Yet when I looked for TPA-DFW and DFW-LHR both were wide open. A few days later I look again and I did find a DFW connection or two, WAY down at the bottom of the list. I went to look again tonight and I'm seeing the odd DFW connection but with crazy prices, like J for $3k MORE than F (both refundable).

other than looking for individual segments like I did before, is there any way to limit my search results to a specific connecting city? For whatever reason the results I'm getting now just arent making sense...

TIA
AA crappy IT schedule optimization strikes again. Pretty much the flights you want are bookable via multi city booking; otherwise AAs IT somehow think the connections you want aren’t optimal. Unfortunately, the issue is the higher cost.

I think AA IT is forcing you to purchase the routes they think are optimal for their operations...outside those parameters, costs goes up.
Spiff likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 6:22 pm

TIA
sounds like journey control. Try a multi OnStar h via DFW on GF and then see if I can get a DFW connection and then click the button book with AA
Old May 1, 2024, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
AA crappy IT schedule optimization strikes again. Pretty much the flights you want are bookable via multi city booking; otherwise AAs IT somehow think the connections you want aren’t optimal. Unfortunately, the issue is the higher cost.

I think AA IT is forcing you to purchase the routes they think are optimal for their operations...outside those parameters, costs goes up.
so how is this crappy IT? I. Fact, it pretty damn good IT — journey control is working
MarkOK likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
O&D inventory management. Perhaps the TPA-LON fare you want to buy is so cheap that AA would rather hold out for higher yielding local traffic.
Old May 1, 2024, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Are you getting no connections or just no connections through DFW? Do you see ORD connections? Could be AA is trying to push more Florida to Europe flights through their east coast hubs in order to keep more capacity through DFW for those originating further west.
Old May 1, 2024, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by 777lover
so how is this crappy IT? I. Fact, it pretty damn good IT — journey control is working

Yep. Likely working exactly as designed. A rarity at AA these days. Shutting down crap flow traffic until it's needed to fill the plane is the whole point of that hi-falutin high tech big data innovation of the 1980s known as O&D yield management.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by Stripe
Are you getting no connections or just no connections through DFW? Do you see ORD connections? Could be AA is trying to push more Florida to Europe flights through their east coast hubs in order to keep more capacity through DFW for those originating further west.
I'm basically seeing everything but DFW
ORD, MIA, CLT, etc

and I'm seeing other weird things, like if I want the morning flight in F it's 13k, if I want the afternoon (arrival) flight it's 5 thousand cheaper. not just 1 day here and one day there, but on over a dozen date pairs.
Old May 1, 2024, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm basically seeing everything but DFW
ORD, MIA, CLT, etc

and I'm seeing other weird things, like if I want the morning flight in F it's 13k, if I want the afternoon (arrival) flight it's 5 thousand cheaper. not just 1 day here and one day there, but on over a dozen date pairs.
Do you mean F or C? Isn't DFW the only one of those gateways you mention that still offers F to LHR?
Old May 1, 2024, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
Do you mean F or C? Isn't DFW the only one of those gateways you mention that still offers F to LHR?
flagship first, and i worded things a bit sloppy. When looking for a premium cabin seat, this is what I find. so F via dfw, but J in most other hubs.
Old May 1, 2024, 6:38 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
I am noticing the same thing, that AA does not want to sell me Florida to LHR via DFW. Where I would much rather connect due to the FL access and longer sleeping time. It’s bizarre
Spiff likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 6:50 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 777lover
It’s crappy for the folks who want a non optimal specific routes, like the OP.

Also for myself, HNL-DFW-PDX use to be easily bookable for a reasonable price via one way or round trip….and AAs IT caught on to it now…..more than doubled the price now and have to usually book multi city.
Old May 1, 2024, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Does this really have something to due with DFW in particular? Or is it just that AA prefers to route FL to LHR traffic over MIA/CLT/PHL? I have had zero problems pulling up SAN-LHR flights routing over DFW at all (in the lowest fare buckets).
Old May 1, 2024, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Try booking with ITA matrix tool to force the connection, then use Book With Matrix to have it show up on aa.com.
bscooter26 likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Does this really have something to due with DFW in particular? Or is it just that AA prefers to route FL to LHR traffic over MIA/CLT/PHL? I have had zero problems pulling up SAN-LHR flights routing over DFW at all (in the lowest fare buckets).
Well, it's offering me every other routing other than TPA-LAX-LHR, even 24 hr+ 2 connection options - in fact thats about the only time I see DFW.
Spiff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.